Prepar3D v3 Being Released

twharrell

Re: Prepar3D v3 Being Released

Post by twharrell »

Well, other than the VAS management, I think most of the big changes are not going to be noticed by the casual hobbyist. That doesn't mean the changes aren't a big deal. One of the biggest changes is file structure, making future P3D updates much easier. It is my understanding that LM wants all addons to be installed outside the core folder. This is indeed a good thing. I think we have to remember who LM's major customers are - the commercial sector. The change with Academic licensing with v3 is indeed a bummer but that day was surely coming.

As a side note, I am reading that AI lights are much more visible with v3. That was a huge frustration for me in v2 when flying on PE. I could never spot traffic when it was called out, because the lights were barely visible.

Regards,

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

My bad, I just remembered that V3 uses a new registry key. We did some testing with Lockheed Martin and when they installed PE, they actually tweaked the registry to allow our sim to detect the V3 installation. So, I take it back, the PE installer is not likely to detect P3D v3 during installation. This means that if you're upgrading from v2, you'll want to modify the dll.xml to refer to the PE transponder dll (replicating the entry from your P3D v2 DLL.xml file) and copy/move the squawkbox and vip model sets from the p3d v2 installation over to the p3d v3 installation.

For a fresh install of P3D V3, the only solution as of right now would be to install PE in the 'multi machine' mode and select "this computer will only run PilotEdge", that way it will skip the detection of the sim. The only known issue here is that the PilotEdge program group will be empty (this will be fixed in the next release) and you'll need to make your own shortcut to PilotEdge executable (placing it in the task bar, start menu or desktop).

I'm going to spend some time on the installer this week to try to add P3D V3 and FSX:SE detection.
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I tried the fresh install workaround you suggested Keith and could not get it to work. I get an error that it was unable to load aircraft database information. Where would the simconnect.msi file go? I also noticed that the transponder file 'petrans10.dll' is nowhere to be found. Was hoping to get it going before the fly-in, but looks like I'll miss it. Bummer. :(
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd, sorry about that, it didn't occur to me that the petrans10.dll wouldn't be installed when you do a "PE-only" install. I can get the file to you if that's important. I don't know why it would be struggling to load the aircraft information. I'll just do my best to get a P3d v3 installer done asap.

Between FSX:SE having many personalities depending on the previous installation history of FSX standalone and now P3Dv3, there is some work to be done on the installer. Todd, would you be available for a screen share early this week so I can get what I need from the registry to find out how P3Dv3 manifests itself it these days?
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I can do it Monday or Tuesday afternoon, Keith.
Regards,

Todd
Naltron

Post by Naltron »

Well after a couple of crashes and so many outdated information on fsx I decided to get prep3dv3. so hope you fix this soon :) no rush, can use fsx and learn how to use p3v3 while waiting.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Keith I'm available for a screen share this afternoon if that works for you.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Well, in other news, I can confirm VAS is MUCH better in P3Dv3. I just did a flight in the PMDG NGX from Flightbeam KDEN to Flightbeam KSFO, FTX Global textures, ASN weather, REX4 clouds, WOAI traffic and my VAS pulling into the gate was 1640000. That is amazing. In other good news AI traffic nav and landing lights are quite visible. Yes, you can actually see traffic again. Can't wait to get on PE again. P3Dv3 is a huge improvement.
Regards,

Todd
Flying Penguin

Post by Flying Penguin »

BonanzaDude wrote:
Not only that they have also changed their license options so that legally most will have to purchase the Professional License.
Undergraduate Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning
K-12 Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning

All users above the level shown above must purchase the $199.99 package. Their licensing wasn't as defined before.
Sorry, just to jump in on this one, but the licence options are exactly the same for V3.

Version 2 Academic
https://secure.prepar3d.com/solo/produc ... ionID=1056

Version 3 Academic
https://secure.prepar3d.com/solo/produc ... ionID=1086

Compare section 1 in both, as well as the definition of Academic Institution near the bottom, they are word for word the same. You will find a copy of the same licence in the P3D install folders.

Bottom line is, whatever additional notices they put up front and recent graduates aside, if you don't qualify for V3, you didn't qualify for V2.

On a more positive note, installed it alongside v2.5 last night and I'm impressed :) Rather embarrassingly, did a little dance when I realised they had fixed the menu system bug for dual graphics cards! :lol:
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Got hold of the new registry keys after a screen share session with BonanzaDude. Went to the office this morning to get the changes done and found the power supply was fried. Good times.