selecting COM1 or COM2 for transmitting

Keith Smith

Re: selecting COM1 or COM2 for transmitting

Post by Keith Smith »

Sally,

I tested the server this morning and indeed, the mechanism which tracks whether a pilot last transmitted on COM1 vs COM2 was inop. I restarted the server, tested it again, and it was successful.

The controller (and the live XML server status which I sent you via the tech support ticket) were both showing the wrong info. I'll try to find out what happened there by combing through the server logs to see if there was something which caused that particular thread to stop working (that would be a first).

Per my original suggestion, though, if this happens again, a perfectly valid solution to demonstrate to the controller which radio you're actually using is to set the non-transmitting radio to a non-ATC freq (such as 123.45, or a CTAF for a non-towered field). If they can still hear you, then that is a conclusive demonstration that you're transmitting on the other radio. To be clear, the controllers can always see the freq for each radio, the only functionality that was broken was the ability for the controller to see which radio you last transmitted on. Sorry for the inconvenience there.
Salire

Post by Salire »

Thanks, Keith. I’m relieved this was not some obscure XP bug that had appeared in my system. But it does make me wonder if I’m one of very few people who use COM2 as a matter of course? Everyone else seemed to be happily flying along.
Sally
PPL Asheville, NC
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Salire wrote:Thanks, Keith. I’m relieved this was not some obscure XP bug that had appeared in my system. But it does make me wonder if I’m one of very few people who use COM2 as a matter of course? Everyone else seemed to be happily flying along.
It's relatively rare for people to use COM2 for transmitting because so many aircraft in xplane haven't implemented the feature correctly. The G-1000 stock 172 is one of the few that actually handle it correctly right out of the box.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Thanks fellas. I'm not that great with computer stuff. I didn't know that about the G1000. That's good to know.
Like Kieth said I try to help, but I'm not always right.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Found the issue on the server which contains an issue where, after the server has been running for a long time, the com1/2 tracking system would stop responding. That's been resolved and will be deployed tomorrow.
rockydr

Post by rockydr »

I logged on this evening to test transmitting on COM2. What I found was the map would always show the last frequency shown on COM1. My last test was to set COM1 to 123.4 and COM2 to 121.6 and switched transmit to COM2. The map continued to show I was tuned to 123.4. I requested a radio check from San Luis ground and he indicated loud and clear. When checking the dataref, it correctly changed from 6 to 7. It appears I can transmit on either radio but the map always shows the COM1 setting. Is this the intended operation?
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

When i use my Eclipse 550 and switch to com 2 the map does show only what your com 1 is tuned to. However the controllers can see the freq that your on even while on com 2.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

This is a know property of the PE map.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

FDXDave wrote:When i use my Eclipse 550 and switch to com 2 the map does show only what your com 1 is tuned to. However the controllers can see the freq that your on even while on com 2.
I need to update the map code to show com2 freq as well.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

That will be nice change. I hope more AC designers start having the capability to use com2.