Checking Status of Military Routes, MOA ect.

jdtribbs

Checking Status of Military Routes, MOA ect.

Post by jdtribbs »

Hello,
Does PE simulate the need in the real world to check the status of a military route or a MOA before traveling through them VFR?

For example, on a VFR flight from Santa Maria to Santa Barbara I would travel through the special military route there (unless i wanted to climb above 6000 AGL). In real life i would contact Hawthorn on 122.2. Would I also do that in PE?

Thanks
Keith Smith

Re: Checking Status of Military Routes, MOA ect.

Post by Keith Smith »

We don't simulate Flight Service, we only simulate Air Traffic Control, so calling on that frequency will not yield a response. However, in the real world, if you have flight following, I would simply ask the controller you're currently working with about the status of a given route and they will tell you. I would never swap over to Flight Service to check on the status of a MOA or restricted area when ATC can easily provide you with the information.

So, in the end, I'd do on PE just what I'd do in real life, just ask the controller you're already talking to :)
davidspreckeriii

Re: Checking Status of Military Routes, MOA ect.

Post by davidspreckeriii »

Seems Keith already got you your answer, however, it might be worthwhile, if you haven't yet, to check out the workshop videos. The first video goes into detail on these areas and also how PE handles them. You can find it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1YEKGW0ve8

I know Keith goes into how PE handles restricted areas at around the 43:00 minute mark.