Random disconnects on FLyThisSim

schwed

Random disconnects on FLyThisSim

Post by schwed »

I've been experiencing random disconnects from the network for months and have been unable to fix it or find the problem. I've gone back and forth with Keith and reviewing the logs, it doesn't seem like this is an issue with the PilotEdge network.

I have a FlyThisSim and connect to the internet using the following setup:
1) WiFi to an Apple Airport Extreme purchased 2015)
2) Apple router connects to a Verizon FiOs modem through a MoCa adaptor
3) Verizon FiOS 75Mbps/75Mbps connection.

Disconnects from the PilotEdfge network are absolutely random. Sometimes I'll hear the "disconnected" message. Other times I just stop hearing everyone on the radios and I have to manually disconnect and reconnect again.

This morning I deleted the PilotEdge plugging and reinstalled it but this didn't fix the problem, (I'm connected to the network and have been disconnected 3 times in less than 10 min).

I've also tried to connect via an ATT connection using my cell phone (I have phenomenal coverage where I live) and this doesn't seem to fix the problem either.

I'm wondering if the issue is on the FlyThisSim software / hardware.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Any ideas where the problem could be?

I'm desperate here!
Daniel Schwed
Private, Instrument - ASEL
PE - N143SB
Cirrus SR20 - N143SB - KLOM
Donovan

Re: Random disconnects on FLyThisSim

Post by Donovan »

I had the same issue with my wifi connection to Verizon FIOS router, that would randomly drop connections on PE, for almost two years. Tried more drivers and settings and trial and error, Google scours of the internet ad infinitim, than you could shake a stick at. I probably spent more time with this than any other single sim problem. It seemed to be worse/more frequent with the more complex planes, but even then random. Drove me nuts.

Streaming movies, music -- not a problem EVER, but randomly reared its ugly head only when flying on the PE Network. It would work fine for a few weeks, then cut out daily for a bit, or even every other flight, then be fine. Arghhhh!

Finally I gave up, bought enough CAT6 shielded cable (CAT5e would have sufficed, I suspect, but I was in overkill mode by this point) and snaked my way through dust-bin hell of the crawl spaces of my attic and stairwells and pulled enough cable to wire my computers direct to the Verizon router (using a switch hub since I have 2 computers) and the problem resolved, never to return. My landlord initially wasn't too keen on it, but since I supplied the cable and the sweat, he let me go at it.

It was worth it. Been a good 6-7 months without a hiccup.

Its something you might consider.

Don
schwed

Post by schwed »

I'm gonna try this today. Fortunately I have a Coax cable in the same room where the Sim is so it should be fairly simple to try this. Hopefully this will solve it. Thanks!!
Daniel Schwed
PE - N143SB
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I read/watched the Verizon clips, but didn't have to go this far, as just the direct hardwiring handled my connection. You might check out the following and see if they are appropriate for your sit, or can help you solve the dropped connection:

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residen ... ng-Lag.htm
https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residen ... arding.htm
https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residen ... ooting.htm

Best,
Don
schwed

Post by schwed »

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I was able to fix the problem. For the past 2 days I've had no disconnections from the network. Here's what happened and how I was able to fix it:

My home network is somewhat unusual. Because of the size of my home, Verizon and Apple helped me set up 3 WiFi Access Points throughout my house (3 apple routers). These are hard-wired to the verizon router via MoCA (for all intents and proposes, the airport units and the verizon router cannot tell the difference between an Ethernet connection and MoCA).

I never actually tried connecting the Sim to the Verizon router since they are located at opposite parts of my house. But in order to rule that out as a problem, I brought the router to the Sim and planned to make a direct connection from the Sim to the router and have the rest of the home network offline (family was not gonna be happy for a day).

To my good fortune, the Verizon router never powered back up after I disconnected it and Verizon had to send me a new router. This also gave me an opportunity to revise how the network had been set up. I discovered one of the airport units was not in bridge mode. That caused a situation of "double NAT".

I suspect the "double NAT" together with a possible damaged FiOS router was the cause of the problems (probably the former more than anything). The MoCA connection is all a possibility but I've not found this reported as a problem.

So, with a new Router and all my airport base stations correctly configured in "bridge mode", the problem appears to have been solved. I've checked that the Sim is receiving an IP address from the verizon router and NOT from one of the airport units. (which appears to be a key factor).

If the problem persists, I will try to assign an IP to the Sim, port forward and DMZ asides from a direct (ethernet) connection to the verizon router).

I wanted to leave everything documented in case someone has a similar problem in the future.

Thanks to all for your help!
Daniel Schwed
PE - N143SB