Your favorite GA single?

Turner

Your favorite GA single?

Post by Turner »

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for "solid" GA singles. If possible I'd prefer something that will do 140+ kts.

I have the Alabeo DA40 as that's one of the planes I fly, but I am having some ongoing trouble with the autopilot, fidgety knob turning, and some other things like very difficult control when toe braking for turning (no steerable nosegear) or stopping.

Any recommendations appreciated!

thanks
Andrew
BFG

Re: Your favorite GA single?

Post by BFG »

I presume this is for FSX or P3D. If so, the A2A aircraft are all top-notch simulations. I tend to fly the 182 around the SoCal airspace, at just around 140 KIAS. It's an awfully realistic model.
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

Since this is in the X-Plane forum, I'm going to suggest you take a look at one of the three Carenado models for which Simcoders have done a Reality Expansion Pack. There is a REP available for Carenado's Cessna 210,Bonanza F33A and Bonanza V35. You must also own the corresponding Carenado model, so the total cost of a REP-enabled model is about 50 USD. That price tag puts them on the pricy end for X-Plane but they're generally well regarded within the community. I personally have the REP for the V35, and my only gripe is that the guidance on engine mixture handling is excessively finicky. Aside from that it's a wonderful, challenging simulation.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

If you don't need to buy it right away you could wait for a carenado sale, although the next one might be in december. Most planes are around 50% off during the sale.

The 210 + REP is a very nice combo and a good performer for a singe prop. It's 2 GPS units and high altitude capability also make it a good choice for longer cross country IFR flights.
Turner

Post by Turner »

BFG wrote:I presume this is for FSX or P3D. If so, the A2A aircraft are all top-notch simulations. I tend to fly the 182 around the SoCal airspace, at just around 140 KIAS. It's an awfully realistic model.
Hi BFG -

I have the A2A 182 and feel it's the best performing aircraft I have. Another favorite is the RealAir Legacy.

But... I'm looking for craft for XP, as I fly it too, but don't fly twins (yet), don't like the default 172 (also too slow), and hope to find something that lets me concentrate on flying instead of trying to work around aircraft issues.

thanks
Andrew
Turner

Post by Turner »

Hi David & Matthias,

Those look great! I'd heard of the Reality Expansion Pack but not known what it is. Going to read more about it.

Top two picks are the F33A and the Centurion - David, thanks for the note on mixture handling.

Thank you!
svilenv

Post by svilenv »

I'll add my vote to any of the 3 REP enhanced planes (Carenado + Simcoders REP expansion pack). I prefer the F33 Bonanza to the other two but that's probably personal :)

Also the AirfoilLabs 172 is outstanding and close to A2A level (or on par with it after they finish the hangar/maintenance/faliures module in their next update).

The SoulMadeSim DHC-2 Beaver is also quite enjoyable.

If you're into rotorcraft, the Dreamfoil Bell 407 is the best civilian helo I've flown in any sim.

P.S. Something to consider: the F33 Bonanza has a dual RMI. The V35 and the C210 don't have one. It's a nice extra instrument to have in IFR and makes those DME arcs a lot easier :)
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
PE I-11 graduate, Certified Armchair Pilot
| Youtube flight recordings | Livestream
BFG

Post by BFG »

Turner wrote:
BFG wrote:I presume this is for FSX or P3D. If so, the A2A aircraft are all top-notch simulations. I tend to fly the 182 around the SoCal airspace, at just around 140 KIAS. It's an awfully realistic model.
Hi BFG -

I have the A2A 182 and feel it's the best performing aircraft I have. Another favorite is the RealAir Legacy.

But... I'm looking for craft for XP, as I fly it too, but don't fly twins (yet), don't like the default 172 (also too slow), and hope to find something that lets me concentrate on flying instead of trying to work around aircraft issues.

thanks
Andrew
Duh. X plane forum. Apologies ...
Turner

Post by Turner »

lol... no issues. I still appreciate the response!
BFG wrote:Duh. X plane forum. Apologies ...
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Turner wrote:I am having some ongoing trouble with the autopilot, fidgety knob turning
What I have found is to maximize the location/airplane selection screen BEFORE clicking "FLY with these options" will improve the click spot performance in 3d cockpits.

My to favorite X-plane aircraft to fly are Carenado Barron BE58 and the Carenado PC12.

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/ ... correl=146

If looking for a FAST single engine it would be hard to beat the PC12's 260+ cruise speed. The Carenado PC12 model isn't perfect. I find the HSI difficult to read when the 3d cockpit is zoomed out enough to see out the window. Seems I spend too much time zooming in to be able to read the HSI.

The PC12 is also a big v$ maker on FSE with the ability to carry 10 PAX at fast cruise speeds. It's also able to operate from relatively short fields.

Carenado aircraft are even better when bought on sale.