Flight Chops - SFO Bravo flight

stevekirks

Flight Chops - SFO Bravo flight

Post by stevekirks »

https://youtu.be/1zJFPrTmi1Y

All:

This is worth the time for everyone to enjoy, plus there's some great tips in the video like: "think about what you want to say and if it's twelve words, use eight" when talking to ATC. It's a flight from a towered airport (KSQL San Carlos) then over KSFO, around downtown and back.

Keith - maybe you could reach out to the Flight Chops crew and have them fly a PE flight and do a compare/contrast to real world ATC, discuss the training value of PE and really hit on ForeFlight...

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
rtataryn

Re: Flight Chops - SFO Bravo flight

Post by rtataryn »

That's was great. Thanks Steve.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Small world, the next Real World Coast to Coast installment has a SQL-SFO transition :)

I was introduced to Flight Chops a while ago. We are discussing some possibilities, he's interested in simulation and PE.
NameCoin

Post by NameCoin »

Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed by this video. I've seen nicer flights around the Bay Area on Youtube that weren't riddled with promotional material and shallow (non-)advice. I actually used to like FlightChops from a training and safety perspective, but after the monetised his content, it went straight into the ground.
stevekirks wrote:[T]here's some great tips in the video like: "think about what you want to say and if it's twelve words, use eight" when talking to ATC.
This is a really good example of non-advice that is disguised as real advice, like many aviation "aphorisms". It has zero functional value for pilots at any level.
Jim Parish

Post by Jim Parish »

This is a really good example of non-advice that is disguised as real advice, like many aviation "aphorisms". It has zero functional value for pilots at any level.[/quote]

" Zero functional value..." - really? I'm an old pilot so maybe that means I'm not too bold ;) but any advice from pilots who are professional in their approach to flying I value. Don't care if I've heard it a hundred times before. There is usually knowledge to be gained at some level, or prior learning to be reinforced.

Jim
NameCoin

Post by NameCoin »

Jim Parish wrote:
" Zero functional value..." - really? I'm an old pilot so maybe that means I'm not too bold ;) but any advice from pilots who are professional in their approach to flying I value. Don't care if I've heard it a hundred times before. There is usually knowledge to be gained at some level, or prior learning to be reinforced.

Jim
Really. In fact, I agree with everything else you said - you're addressing a claim that I never made. I am not talking about getting advice or lessons repeatedly. To put another away, I'm saying that specifically the quoted comment does not mean anything. You can't just boil down radio technique (or any other) to a one-liner.
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

NameCoin wrote: This is a really good example of non-advice that is disguised as real advice, like many aviation "aphorisms". It has zero functional value for pilots at any level.
NameCoin wrote:
Jim Parish wrote:

Jim
Really. In fact, I agree with everything else you said - you're addressing a claim that I never made. I am not talking about getting advice or lessons repeatedly. To put another away, I'm saying that specifically the quoted comment does not mean anything. You can't just boil down radio technique (or any other) to a one-liner.
(emphasis mine)

Sure you can, and the line does have relevance. Any pilots' goal is to be as clear and concise on the radio as possible, you're not out to have a full conversation. If you think of what your going to say before keying the mic, and can then think of a way to say it in less words but with the same meaning then you're doing something right. Eventually, boiling down your radio calls will become second nature and you don't have to consciously think about it. For students (or pilots looking to be as efficient as possible), this 'one-liner' is a perfect philosophy to use.

I fly with many commercial pilots that are horrible on the radio because they went through a 'pilot mill' type flight school and didn't get advice like this. I was with one on a long dead head flight and I asked to work the radio for her. She couldn't believe that I (100 hr RW at the time) was better with the radio work then she (500+ hr commercial pilot) was. Also, this was before I found PE. :lol:
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

Think what say. Eight word, no twelve.
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

Think-Reduce-Speak
RyanK wrote:Think what say. Eight word, no twelve.
^ seven word, no eight
This space intentionally left blank
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

"Socal approach, good afternoon. This is Cessna Skyhawk November 6789 with you. I hate to disturb, but if it's not asking too much, I would very much like to request a transition through the Los Angeles class bravo airspace. The coastal route would be wonderful, but I would be happy to accept any routing of your preference. And by the way, i must say you have a beautiful voice. Cessna Skyhawk November 6789."

That's about as short as I can make it.