Landing at KCNO, do I need a clearance from KONT?

Matthias Geiss

Landing at KCNO, do I need a clearance from KONT?

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Now that I have gone through all the I-ratings, it's definitely time to work on my (apart from V1-3 pretty much non existent) VFR skills. :)
I just started reading a bit on the basics and began to watch the workshop videos, so bear with me if this question is being answered at some point through the workshop series.

Let's assume I am on a VFR flight without flight following and I want to land at Chino. If for whatever reason (terrain, traffic etc.) I can't get below 2700ft to stay underneath the Ontario class C, what would be the right thing to to:

1.) Contact Chino while still outside the Ontario airspace, assuming that the transition through Ontario's airspace will be handled in the background? I know that "assuming" can lead to all kinds of things. :)
2.) Contact Ontario, ask for a transition with the intention to land at Chino, who will then probably hand me off to Chino?

I'm guessing 2.

I know there's also 3.) and request flight following from Socal while outside the airspace, but what would be the right choice between 1. and 2.?
svilenv

Re: Landing at KCNO, do I need a clearance from KONT?

Post by svilenv »

While still outside of the C you should contact Socal on 135.40: the TRACON controller for the Ontario sector (as per the TAC chart). To enter the class C you need to be in two way communication with the position that owns that airspace. If you advise SoCal on initial contact that you're going to Chino, they'll hand you off to tower when entering the Chino class D.

Now if it was the other way around: you were let's say departing Chino southbound it might be possible for tower to keep you for the short C segment (after coordinating with SoCal and if no traffic conflicts) and then release you without handoff, but I'm just speculating here, may be controllers will chime in with more precise info.
Svilen Vassilev (N217S)
PE I-11 graduate, Certified Armchair Pilot
| Youtube flight recordings | Livestream
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Thank you, Svilen!
That's an important bit of information (which I will probably learn when I continue with watching the workshop videos)! I wasn't aware of the fact that I need to contact Approach before entering class C, thinking that two-way communication meant being in contact with tower prior to entering the C.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Generally speaking, the Tower only owns the little 4-5mile ring in the middle of a airspace (usually up to about 2,500ft AGL) with an outer shelf. The approach (or radar facility) usually owns that outer shelf. So, the radar controller is the one to contact for a transition through the outer shelf.
Last edited by Kyle.Sanders on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Sanders
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Best solution is to just be on flight following. Then you really don't have to think about it.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

FF sure makes such things a lot easier. In this case, when I need to contact APP while outside the airspace anyway, isn't that similar to pick up FF in the air? As I understand it, I will get a squawk code and radar services to the destination in both cases.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Matthias Geiss wrote:FF sure makes such things a lot easier. In this case, when I need to contact APP while outside the airspace anyway, isn't that similar to pick up FF in the air? As I understand it, I will get a squawk code and radar services to the destination in both cases.
Correct.
Anytime you are under "radar contact", you are getting "radar advisories". This is "flight following".
That is why when you call up ATC, you can ask for flight "flight following" or "advisories" and it means the same thing.

To answer your original question about the best out of the two options: "neither".
You should contact SoCal Approach to transition the outer shelf of the ONT Charlie Airspace. The ONT Tower usually doesn't handle handle that except in rare situations where the controller will have to do some coordination in the background to get approval from that radar controller to talk to you through that airspace. I don't see where this is beneficial, as the pilot is only delaying that service for himself by doing that.
Kyle Sanders
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Thanks Kyle, I think I got it now. Will try to recreate the scenario online asap.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Matthias Geiss wrote:Thanks Kyle, I think I got it now. Will try to recreate the scenario online asap.
Have fun!
Kyle Sanders