Real Weather issues

rtataryn

Real Weather issues

Post by rtataryn »

I'm not sure when this started - just noticed it today, but I haven't flown in a couple of weeks. I always fly with X-plane's actual weather, date and time. There are usually very slight discrepancies between PilotEdge ATIS, ForeFlight METARS and X-Plane real weather, but not enough to matter much, yet today the X-Plane default Real-weather was completely off on all four of my flights. Baro was .2 or more off (200ft), winds were completely opposite directions, winds aloft were way off, ceilings too. I checked everything, dates/times etc, re-downloaded current weather, but completely off. When I first loaded, it kept giving me 29.92, but that was not consistent either when I re-grabbed current weather. Anyway, not sure if anyone else has been dealing with this, or if there is an easy button to fix it. I'm running 10.42. I hate updating unless I absolutely have to, but this might be a reason.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
rtataryn

Re: Real Weather issues

Post by rtataryn »

OK. Found it. Looks like 10.5 RC3 may have the fix.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fo ... d-problem/
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, real weather has been broken in xplane 10.4x for a while due to the real world weather source URL being changed.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

OK thanks Keith. I guess I did notice a while back, the OAT's were way low and I was icing when I shouldn't have been. So what is everyone doing for altimeter settings now? Dropping the environment menu and updating it in flight?
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

rtataryn wrote:OK thanks Keith. I guess I did notice a while back, the OAT's were way low and I was icing when I shouldn't have been. So what is everyone doing for altimeter settings now? Dropping the environment menu and updating it in flight?
My guess is many have updated xplane to the latest release candidate. Not sure what people are doing who have broken r/w weather. They probably aren't aware.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

OK . . . this just in . . . . Update fixed it. Duh. :oops:
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Keith Smith wrote:
rtataryn wrote:OK thanks Keith. I guess I did notice a while back, the OAT's were way low and I was icing when I shouldn't have been. So what is everyone doing for altimeter settings now? Dropping the environment menu and updating it in flight?
My guess is many have updated xplane to the latest release candidate. Not sure what people are doing who have broken r/w weather. They probably aren't aware.
A number of us use FS Global Real WX instead of the default weather engine. My experience is that the weather injection tends to be almost on point with METARs whereas XPX's default engine is up to an hour or more behind. The other advantage was global winds aloft, but that has since been added into 10.50.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

XP10 now has winds aloft but not as many layers from my understanding, as say the NOAA Plugin.
Kyle Sanders
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

The NOAA plugin does a great job with winds aloft and variable winds. Wind feels more dynamic and real as it shifts throughout an instrument approach for example. I'm curious if the new default weather will capture this. I can't speak to FSGRW, but the main issues with NOAA weather are:

- It sets weather uniformly, so you can't see distant weather coming. You're just suddenly in it.
- It doesn't play nice with the X-Plane ATIS system. Weather is reported as it is wherever you happen to be when you listen to it.

I do often use a modified NOAA plugin which lets me manually set clouds and visibility for IFR practice, and downloads everything else. The above points don't matter much then since I'm in IMC the whole time, and my ceilings/visibility don't match the real world anyway. I just grab winds, temps, and pressures off the iPad.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

You could always use NOAA plugin in combination with the SkyMaxxPro Real Weather Connector. That may work. I'm not sure though.
Kyle Sanders