[SOLVED] X-Plane 10.50 & Windows Anniversary Update Conflict

Kyle.Sanders

[SOLVED] X-Plane 10.50 & Windows Anniversary Update Conflict

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

***SOLVED 7OCT2016 UPDATE****
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6544&start=10#p44247
Edit- it seems that the update for nVidia alone will work if you wish to not update windows.

Curious if anyone here can help contribute to what exactly the problem is. Many are saying that it is a conflict with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Open GL.

I contacted laminar and they aren't taking me seriously, they are acting like I'm a new x-plane user and are trying to walking me though lowering my settings to get better FPS. They don't realize (and won't seem to "hear" me) that I have already had this working great until the Windows update.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 29953eb4c7

Some say they don't have issues until the graphics become a bit heavier of a load and others say there is no problem. It seems to be split 50/50.

Some have uninstalled the past couple windows updates and say it works better but still getting unstable FPS afterwards (58FPS and then drop down to about 19 back and forth).
Last edited by Kyle.Sanders on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kyle Sanders
mldavis2

Re: X-Plane 10.50 and Windows Anniversary Update Conflict

Post by mldavis2 »

I believe there is a problem with one of the Microsoft updates or patches - KB3176938 - which causes some instability and OpenGL problems according to information on the 'net.

On the other hand, I have not experienced such a problem. I'm running X-Plane 10.50r3 and Win 10 (1607). Looking in my recent Microsoft update lists since early July 2016, I do not find KB3176938 installed on my computer. SO, it may only apply to some installations (perhaps hardware dependent), OR it has been removed and replaced by an update or patch of a different number. I am in the habit of running the update checker immediately after every morning boot-up to prevent Microsoft from interrupting my computing sessions. There is evidence that Microsoft did change the patch using the same number. Whether you have to manually uninstall KB3176938 and return to Microsoft for a new version, or the automated installer does it automatically, I don't know, or even if it is necessary. Why they didn't change the number and delete the original, I don't know. Since my computer does not contain that patch, and I've had no problems, it is possible that it is not "needed."
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I had the KB FPS issue and removing it solved the problem for sure...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

stevekirks wrote:I had the KB FPS issue and removing it solved the problem for sure...
I just removed the KB...38 and it has seem to fix it for me but doesn't fix it for everyone. Now to get it to where it doesn't download every restart.
Kyle Sanders
CrzyDmnd

Post by CrzyDmnd »

Use this tool the "hide" a pending update so that it doesn't get automatically installed...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

I think I can add my name to this list. I was updated to the newest Windows 10 version over the weekend. Strangely, I was able to complete about 20 minutes of flying before my frames went to 1-2 per second. I rebooted, loaded up the flight again and 20 minutes in my frames dropped to 1 or 2. I happened to be streaming and some viewers mentioned the update may be causing it. I rolled back and have completed 2 flights without issue.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

After much research and troubleshooting, this is a step by step of what has worked for me and a couple others:

***Temporary Fix: X-Plane 10.50/Windows 10 Anniversary Update FPS Issue***

Microsoft and nVidia are now aware of the issue, acknowledged it and are working together for a fix. Until then, the following worked GREAT for me without ANY issues:

Hit your windows key and start typing "Uninstall updates"...

Select View Installed Updates

Uninstall any "Update for Microsoft Windows" that has a numeric value of more than KB3176936. (Just to be clear- I am running on KB...36, that update is working for me so don't uninstall that one)

Once that is done, restart your computer and test your sim to see if this fixed your FPS issue.
If it didn't, you can always go back and reinstall it and forget what I'm saying here.

If this worked, you are going to want to stop windows from automatically updating for now. To do that:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process by right clicking it and going to properties. Then Startup type... select disable.

When you hear there is an update out that fixed this issue, be sure to reenable Windows update if you want it to do this automatically.

Good luck
Last edited by Kyle.Sanders on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle Sanders
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

I also had this problem after installing the anniversary update. I was able to follow some suggestions from the .org forum and got things working again - without uninstalling the windows update.

Go to the x-Plane.exe file and open the properties.
On the compatibility tab, click 'Change settings for all users'.
Select 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8'
Also check 'Run this program as an administrator'

I run XP in windowed mode, and with these changes I have my normal frame-rates back, and can alt-tab out of the sim and look at my browser etc. with no problem.

Good luck!
BE58 - N4854B
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

---Update---

Well... it was working...

I was running fine for around 45 min, but then my frame-rates crashed and everything went bad again. Oh well, probably need to uninstall the update....
BE58 - N4854B
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

***Update 6OCT2016 (fixed?)***

As of the time of this post- I have seen 3 out of 4 people are reporting the nVidia driver update 373.06 running on Windows KB3194496 update has resolved the dreaded FPS issue with X-Plane 10.50. I am going to give it a little while longer to see if more people chime in with good results. The 4th person, I believe may not know what he is doing/talking about.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... -notes.pdf
Kyle Sanders