Baron - lean of peak.

Dean33

Baron - lean of peak.

Post by Dean33 »

Last week I had problems with my (Milviz) Beech Baron losing both engines when taxiing and even after receiving take off clearance.

Very embarrassing - resolved to study throttle procedure better.

It was reassuring (with a slight smile) to see the Cat 2 video with Keith 'lean of peak' Smith's Baron gradually sinking to earth.

Nice emergency landing and post episode investigation though - thanks Keith. :D

Cheers.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Keith Smith

Re: Baron - lean of peak.

Post by Keith Smith »

No question, it was not my finest moment. I failed to recognize all the signs from the instrumentation that the mixture was becoming too lean for continued operations, and then when the stove(s) did quit, I failed to execute the proper flow for a restart. There were a few reasons for this (primarily expectation bias and lack of familiarity with the systems of the Baron) but it was still a wake up call and a truly poor performance.

I'm comfortable that I won't have the engine fail in my real airplane in this particular manner (failing to recognize incorrect mixture) because the vibration is impossible to miss, HOWEVER, the fact that I didn't handle the emergency properly once it took place is the real area for improvement.
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

On reflection, I think you did a great job Keith.

After all - you were trying to entertain / educate many people at the time - as well as flying an aircraft.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Hehehe

I tried to get a comment in on the tape... but I was really quiet and it probably didn't make the cut... something like "You applied full rental power again?"

:twisted:

Those were Keith's words when I lost my engines in XP10 a long time ago in the Avanti... I was a noob and basically firewalled them LOL - I survived a teardrop back to the field though woot!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:No question, it was not my finest moment. I failed to recognize all the signs from the instrumentation that the mixture was becoming too lean for continued operations, and then when the stove(s) did quit, I failed to execute the proper flow for a restart. There were a few reasons for this (primarily expectation bias and lack of familiarity with the systems of the Baron) but it was still a wake up call and a truly poor performance.

I'm comfortable that I won't have the engine fail in my real airplane in this particular manner (failing to recognize incorrect mixture) because the vibration is impossible to miss, HOWEVER, the fact that I didn't handle the emergency properly once it took place is the real area for improvement.
While you say "it was not my finest moment" I think it's a one of the best PilotEdge moments I've ever seen. It's the canonical use of the PE environment to safely stop and learn what you did and why without balling up thousands of dollars of equipment and priceless flesh and bone. The best part was the discussion about real-world indications like cockpit and control vibrations that would help alert you to issues long before what we saw in the sim.

Keith, that one live video really underscores why every private pilot should have a basic simulator setup in the home and practice with PilotEdge. VFR or IFR alike--managing cockpit work without distraction is the key for real and sim pilots and this will stick with me for a long time...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

And here I thought this was about correct LOP settings. I love the Milviz BE55.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
BFG

Post by BFG »

stevekirks wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:No question, it was not my finest moment. I failed to recognize all the signs from the instrumentation that the mixture was becoming too lean for continued operations, and then when the stove(s) did quit, I failed to execute the proper flow for a restart. There were a few reasons for this (primarily expectation bias and lack of familiarity with the systems of the Baron) but it was still a wake up call and a truly poor performance.

While you say "it was not my finest moment" I think it's a one of the best PilotEdge moments I've ever seen. It's the canonical use of the PE environment to safely stop and learn what you did and why without balling up thousands of dollars of equipment and priceless flesh and bone. The best part was the discussion about real-world indications like cockpit and control vibrations that would help alert you to issues long before what we saw in the sim.

Keith, that one live video really underscores why every private pilot should have a basic simulator setup in the home and practice with PilotEdge. VFR or IFR alike--managing cockpit work without distraction is the key for real and sim pilots and this will stick with me for a long time...
^ this.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I was extracting the highlights from the workshop today with an intention of grabbing 3 videos, the CAT-1, CAT-2 and CAT-3. The 1 and 3 are probably going to be used for the rating pages themselves, so I extracted those first. While I was finalizing the ending time stamp for the "CAT-2 Disaster", twitch deleted the video. It was exactly 2 weeks to the minute that the video stream was started. _Painful_. My fault for not highlighting it sooner to preserve. I'm just posting this in case anyone was wondering why the CAT-1 and 3 were saved but the #2 Disaster was not. It wasn't intentional, I would've liked to have kept it.
crum

Post by crum »

...I would've liked to have kept it.
Take it here, Keith: https://yadi.sk/i/YySk2Yc4xv3HP
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
crum

Post by crum »

No need anymore? Need to free the space.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current