KABQ arrivals question

Acroshaw

KABQ arrivals question

Post by Acroshaw »

Hi all, was intending to fly KPHX - KABQ last night but was too ill with winter cold, so I browsed the arrivals on peaware, looks like runway 8 is almost always the approach given, despite prevailing winds from the west as usual in this area, is this down to the unforgiving mountainous terrain to the east of the airport? Do ATC look at this as a more important factor than the winds (which were pretty light to be fair )? I'm trying to build up airport specific knowledge, will help a lot in flight planning ! I'd also like to know from the pilots that flew in what approach they were given? Looking at the tracks I would guess mostly visual runway 8?
Keith Smith

Re: KABQ arrivals question

Post by Keith Smith »

Here's the runway usage SOP for ABQ:
Calm (ABQE) - Depart 8, Arrive 3 and 8

ABQW - If winds are over a 5 knot tailwind to runway 8 and favor runway 26.
Depart 21, 26, 30. Arrive 26, 30.

ABQNE - If winds are over a 5 knot tailwind to runway 8 and favor 3.
Depart 3, Arrive 3

So, plan to land rwy 8 or 3 unless there's > 5 knot tailwind component for both runways.
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

Perfect thanks Keith :)
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

I thought I should mention this in addition to Keith's post as there have been issues recently at other airports too. Even though winds may currently be favoring a particular "flow" or runway usage, the decision to use a particular configuration can be set by ATC for any reason. If there is an operation advantage for landing a certain way, it can be set to however ATC deems it works best (within reason). ABQ does give us a good example of such cases. There are not any precision approaches landing to the west (for good reasons mentioned above) so if ceilings are low and winds will still allow it, ATC may still decide that using the available ILS's landing east provide an operation advantage even though winds may favor landing west. TAF's can also help ATC predict a preferred flow.

In the last 2 weeks I have had a couple pilots tell me that I am using the wrong runways. It's ok to question an assignment or request something else but to create an argument on frequency might be taking it too far.
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

This is just the sort of info I was after, although apart from stalking other pilots on peaware, and flight aware, as a pilot ( sim or real), is there any other way to find out this info about specific airports other than experience?
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

A RW option is to call a local FBO or airport manager to ask about any local pilot info. There are also numbers for local ATC (tower, TRACON) where pilots can call to ask operational info. In my experience, ATC is always happy to answer questions on a land line if it makes the operation smoother on the radio. But usually its just as effective to be prepared for anything and just roll with the punches.

On a recent 600nm trip I made, I few into airports I've been to before and several that I've never heard of until planing the trip the night before. All I did to prepare was to call the FBOs to confirm their hours, fuel availability, and preferred parking area (and if a crew car was available to grab some lunch). One of the airports had a control tower and had specific instructions to enter the pattern based on local landmarks. Even without being local, I was able to figure it out and roll with it. Big thing is to not sweat the small stuff.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

zerofay32 wrote: On a recent 600nm trip I made, I few into airports I've been to before and several that I've never heard of until planing the trip the night before. All I did to prepare was to call the FBOs to confirm their hours, fuel availability, and preferred parking area (and if a crew car was available to grab some lunch). One of the airports had a control tower and had specific instructions to enter the pattern based on local landmarks. Even without being local, I was able to figure it out and roll with it. Big thing is to not sweat the small stuff.
I was curious about the name used by pilots on CTAF for a non towered field (name used not clear on chart) so just called the manager of the field at the local town hall. He wasn't surprised at all by my question and was happy and eager to talk about what local pilots call that field on CTAF.
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11