Overlaying flight path on IFR charts?

flipfloppity

Overlaying flight path on IFR charts?

Post by flipfloppity »

Does anyone know whether it is possible in P3D/FSX (either natively or through a 3rd-party application) to overlay flight path data onto IFR charts such as approach plates and enroute charts? I haven't been able to figure it out, and it would be a very useful post-flight debriefing tool. I seem to remember Keith using something along these lines in some of the IFR workshops, which is why I'm asking here.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Overlaying flight path on IFR charts?

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

You can use an app like foreflight or flight plan go on an ipad to display it on a map. With X-Plane there is a simple box in the sim to check to export your location to the app. 3rd party software is required to export your location for FSX/P3D. I'm unsure what it is called.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

ForeFlight+CloudAhoy is a pretty powerful combo for debriefing. Like Shawn said it's really simple with X-Plane, but P3D/FSX might take a little more work.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

For FSX you can use FSXFlight to export GPS and traffic to ForeFlight. The subscription for the georegistered approach plates in ForeFlight is pretty expensive if your a sim pilot only. I use RW IFR so i train with it in the sim.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
kullery

Post by kullery »

Paste the URL of your flight in PEaware into this page.

http://www.myflightroute.com/routeplot.php

This will use the data stored in PEaware to plot your route on Skyvector. It won't do approach plates but it will give you capability to overlay on enroute charts. Best of all it's free.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

This was mentioned earlier and has what is called geo-referenced charts (similar to ForeFlight but so subscription is required)

https://www.fltplan.com/

Cant say enough about it...has all the charts I need for my FSE adventures up in Canada, along with all the sectionals. I use Skyvector for my route planning then copy the route over.

Its also good for Windows and iOS, I use it on my surface.