PilotEdge Network Environment Dilemma

Fred K

PilotEdge Network Environment Dilemma

Post by Fred K »

Hi All

I am a flight sim hobbyist and long-time user of VATSIM. I was recently intrigued by the PilotEdge regional airport expansion. So I joined and have completed a few PE flights.

I am still intrigued....but I have a dilemma....

I have a cockpit setup that runs on multiple networked computers. As such the monitor for my P3D computer is located outside my cockpit, and PE runs on that computer. I have been unable to get PE working on a client computer where the PE window would be visible within the cockpit.

So the issue that I have is that I cannot see the Receive/Transmit status window from within the cockpit. This in itself would not be a problem if I could hear all pilot communications in addition to the controller communications, but I seem to only receive about half of the pilot communications. So not having visual access to the transmission status window nor being able to hear all pilot communications I run the risk of impolite talk-over while other pilot communication is happening. Many times I do not get a response from the controller assummably because another pilot that I cannot hear is active on the frequency.

So to use PE any further I need to be able to do one of the following: either (1) get PE working on a client computer, (2) be able to hear all pilot communications, or (3) be able to have at least a transmission status window displayed on a client computer.

Within my networked environment I have SimConnect working for other apps, but PE does not connect. I have tried running the SimConnect msi from within the PE folder etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred K
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: PilotEdge Network Environment Dilemma

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Hey Fred. The system is setup in such a way that you will not hear every pilot that transmits. There are repeaters in place so if you are on a clearance, ground or tower frequency, you will hear every other pilot that is also on a clearance ground or tower frequency. That said, you will not hear any other pilot on an approach or center frequency unless you are tuned to the exact same frequency. This is why you aren't hearing every transmission. It's nothing on your end, it's this way by design. The RX light won't come on if someone is transmitting on a frequency that you can't hear.

If this is not your issue and you think it might be more than that, send an email to support@pilotedge.net and they should be able to troubleshoot it with you.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

As an addendum, X-Plane pilots (which are a significant percentage of those flying at any given time) have no TX/RX lights, and we manage to get along just fine. So I wouldn't worry over-much about it. :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Balu0

Post by Balu0 »

You problem is a problem for real life pilots as well, you won't hear other pilots not on the same frequency or even on the same frequency but out of your reception range.
Talk over will happen in real life too.
But you can listen to the controller and if he says something that if it were for you you would read back, assume that it will be read back, time your talk as so when the controller finishes an instruction, and appropriate time have passed for a read back to be done, then talk.

It takes some practice but I find it cool to be able to anticipate the "holes" where I can chip in. I usually manage to do it without stepping on "toes" :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Fred,

Check out this video from a r/w flight I did several years ago. Notice that you don't hear a single other pilot on freq, even though the controller is clearly addressing them. That's what it sounds like when one controller is working multiple areas at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CNPPIdwbw
jb747

Post by jb747 »

Hi Fred,

I recently helped another user establish a remote configuration successfully. If you want to do it let me know and I can ship you the stuff to configure it.

Cheers,

Jon