X-Plane GPS

arb65912

Re: X-Plane GPS

Post by arb65912 »

Simon, it was very interesting reply for me and since I have no experience in real life I will be waiting for the outcome, I need to know exactly where I stand as far as discussed IFR flight plan closing.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ,

At some point your IFR flight plan needs to be closed in the real world. This happens automatically at a towered airport. At a non-towered airport, at some point, you must cancel the IFR flight plan. This can be done in the air (if you are in VFR conditions), or on the ground.

Here's a good example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFr8fZ9WOPg

Notice towards the end, the approach controller is asking if I can cancel IFR with him (ie, while I'm still talking to approach). I say that I won't be able to, but that I will be able to cancel with Caldwell tower (the closest tower to my destination, which is Lincoln Park). That's what happens in the video, I get into VFR conditions (just barely), cancel IFR with Caldwell, then swap to the Lincoln Park CTAF (122.80).
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith,

Watched the whole video, it was very noisy but you said it had to do something with the engine interfering the radio recording.

Anyway, I have heard the part about canceling IFR flight plan.

That was so busy time for you, very cool. :)

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's a little off-topic, but the bulk of the noise is because when I get below 3000ft, the reception of the 127.60 frequency is not very good, especially in bad weather. So, I had to turn off the squelch on the radio to hear any transmissions. That's why there's so much radio noise. The statement in the YT comments about the engine refers to the change in pitch you can hear over the radio.
Simon Ambrose

Post by Simon Ambrose »

Keith Smith wrote:It's a little off-topic, but the bulk of the noise is because when I get below 3000ft, the reception of the 127.60 frequency is not very good, especially in bad weather. So, I had to turn off the squelch on the radio to hear any transmissions. That's why there's so much radio noise. The statement in the YT comments about the engine refers to the change in pitch you can hear over the radio.
Interesting -- the radio Noise. This obviously lets you know you are getting "out of range", and that COMS are becomming unreliable. Like the old ANALOGUE Cell Phones !!

Curretly, PE is like being on a Digital Cell phone.. If you get out of range, or in a "hole" -- you hear nothing -- with no warning.

Something to think about, when things settle down a bit after Launch. ?

"Introducing increasing "Grey Noise" onto COMS, as line of sight range increases to the cut off point of 100% noise, and no audio".

Technically, this should not be too difficult to simulate, especailly is one has access to the audio server's software or it's developer.

I do not think any other Flight Sim System simulates this yet, the big Multi-Million dollar ones might, but nothing in the lower end market.

This has been something I have wanted to introduce to FSX Multiplayer, and it is lookimg like we might see it implimented before the end of the year !!

Simon
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Simon, it's been thought about from the day the radio system was designed. We're awaiting the release of the next version of the audio API so we can do our own signal processing. We're already calculating signal strength ratios, we just can't do anything with them right now, at least, not easily.

I hope you have success with your implementation, it'll be a good feature.
DanS

Post by DanS »

I use RealityXP's 430. It's the best one I've found. There is a post somewhere on the Reality XP page detailing how to upgrade the DB to a more recent version...

--Dan