I-Ratings flying skills

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Redrum

I-Ratings flying skills

Post by Redrum »

When flying the I-Ratings, should I utilize everything available to me in my plane, GPS and autopilot, or hand fly the ratings with just basic IFR instruments?
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: I-Ratings flying skills

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Whatever you want to do. These ratings are to help your skills, not ours. Want to use autopilot? Use it, want to hand fly? Hand fly it. Want to fly with a G1000, do it! It's completely up to you. Just make sure at the very least, you have the equipment on board to complete the rating. Have fun!
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Thanks Shawn. I’m definitely having fun!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Redrum, Shawn nailed it. You get from the ratings only what you put into it. It all comes down to what you're looking for.
skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

I have a related question if it's ok to jump into this thread...

When doing a CAT rating test, specifically VFR, CAT 1, is it necessary to set X-plane to the current weather and therefore I must make sure I'm not going to be flying in IMC conditions, or can I set the weather to a sunny day for the purposes of the test?

It may seem like a ridiculous question but I just want to make sure since it's a cert test.

Thanks,

SH
sono

Post by sono »

skyhigh wrote:I have a related question if it's ok to jump into this thread...

When doing a CAT rating test, specifically VFR, CAT 1, is it necessary to set X-plane to the current weather and therefore I must make sure I'm not going to be flying in IMC conditions, or can I set the weather to a sunny day for the purposes of the test?

It may seem like a ridiculous question but I just want to make sure since it's a cert test.

Thanks,

SH
if real world wx is not vfr You can use custom wx . Just indicate you are using custom wx in the flight plan..

I thought this was in the FAQ, but couldnt see it either.
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

Thank you very much.

My brain is going through information overload so I may have missed this somewhere.