Thanks for the Washington Alphabet Challenge

36 leg Achievement
Redrum

Thanks for the Washington Alphabet Challenge

Post by Redrum »

I bought ORBX TrueEarth US Washington HD last September. Never really flew around in it much, because I was not familiar with the area, Florida boy. I have to say, with the ABC challenge I have really enjoyed the scenery. This is a great way to explore the area. I'm doing all my flight VFR and enjoying the scenery.
Kevin_atc

Re: Thanks for the Washington Alphabet Challenge

Post by Kevin_atc »

That’s exactly what we’re hoping for! The challenge gives you a reason to fly to so many airports that you’d never think twice about. So far, my favorite in Washington are S36 and HQM, but I’m hardly halfway through it!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Jim Parish

Post by Jim Parish »

I have to join in and say I’m quite looking forward to it. I’ve rarely flown VFR on PE but will do more with this Challenge. My only problem is now I want to go get all the ORBX Washington airports!

Jim
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

The second leg to C72 presents a bit of a problem. The privately owned dirt strip field is currently closed, but will accept ski equipped aircraft. I suppose I'll have to break one of my own rules, set my own weather and season, and fly to C72 in the summer...... I don't think that breaks any Challenge rules.
I don't think I have a ski-equipped airplane anyway.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

flyingdrill wrote:The second leg to C72 presents a bit of a problem. The privately owned dirt strip field is currently closed, but will accept ski equipped aircraft. I suppose I'll have to break one of my own rules, set my own weather and season, and fly to C72 in the summer...... I don't think that breaks any Challenge rules.
I don't think I have a ski-equipped airplane anyway.
You may fly whatever weather, time, or season you’d like.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
kullery

Post by kullery »

flyingdrill wrote:.... is currently closed, but will accept ski equipped aircraft. .....

While that comment is included in the airport's remarks, that type of information is typically subject to change much faster than the FAA updates remarks. It would be best practice to check with the owner for current status (for PE usage, consider Kevin_atc to be the owner ).
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

All good. Looking back at some of my reminiscences on the earlier Challenges, I see I did occasionally adjust the time and weather. I tend, these days, to fly with real weather, and if it looks to be a bad day, I take the same decision I take RW. I stay home. However, because PE now covers such a large area, I often just fly from somewhere else where it may (or may not) be challenging, but not stupid :-)
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Done........Phew. I think I now know Washington better than where I live! Some of those airports were pretty obscure, and more than one had somewhat challenging terrain around them. All well chosen, and a lot of fun. Thanks again for setting this up! I think it's time to go and do a few old favorite TEC routes in SoCal, and check out my Orbx scenery, which I've hardly looked at as I've been doing the Challenge!