Equipment suffixes

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
mcdonaldc

Equipment suffixes

Post by mcdonaldc »

What equipment suffix am I supposed to file to fly above FL290, PMDG 737. I am not a real pilot. The controller I spoke with told me to look in the AIM, but it's gibberish to me.
Kevin_atc

Re: Equipment suffixes

Post by Kevin_atc »

It all depends on the capability of your aircraft. Between FL290-410 is RVSM airspace therefore you need to have the correct equipment to fly in it. Knowing that, you should be able to pair up the equipment within your airplane to a qualifying RVSM equipment suffix.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
kullery

Post by kullery »

This may help you out.

http://www.myflightroute.com/equipcode.php

Suggestion, if the AIM is “gibberish” to you, a 737 may not be the best aircraft choice. Better to start in a smaller, slower GA aircraft and work your way up, just like typical R/W flight training.
Last edited by kullery on Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

Just to be clear, if my airplane is RVSM capable but a partícular flight is to be flown BELOW FL290, do I still file /L, or should I use /G?... thx as always...
kullery

Post by kullery »

AIM 5−1−8 a3 note 4.

“It is recommended that pilots file the maximum transponder or navigation capability of their aircraft in the equipment suffix. This will provide ATC with the necessary information to utilize all facets of navigational equipment and transponder capabilities available.”

While you may plan to fly a certain altitude, filing with your maximum capability increases options for any potential diversions.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure... THX for the prompt response!