Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

Postby patrickperalta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello! Yesterday I requested VFR flight following out of SMO. I asked for the mini route and missed the "unable" from my initial contact. I had mixed up the Mini Route and Special Flight Rules. When I finally understood what was happening I climbed back up...into the Bravo. :cry:

What I'm confused about is this - should I have been issued a transponder code? Or did that not apply because the Special Flight Rules do not require ATC contact. Would the right thing have been to cross over LAX then contact approach for flight following?

Here's the audio of my request at SMO:
http://audio.pilotedge.net/2020/6/2020- ... .mp3#t=270

Thanks!
Patrick
patrickperalta

Re: Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

Postby Keith Smith » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:02 am

Are you asking how to fly the SFRA transition? If so, it starts outside of the Bravo airspace at 3500/4500, either NW or SE of LAX. You cannot climb up into the Bravo and join the transition midway through the route.

In terms of comms, if you want to coordinate flight following once you are clear of the mini-route, that's not a problem, but it's a 100% unrelated to the mini-route at that point.

There is a discrete squawk code associated with the SFRA, it is 1201. There is no need to call ATC to request the miniroute as the procedure has its own self-announcing frequency.
Keith Smith

Postby Keith Smith » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am

Corrected my post above, it was a mish-mosh of SFRA/miniroute altitudes/codes, my apologies. This is what happens when TBC (typing before coffee).
Keith Smith

Postby patrickperalta » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for the response Keith! What if I were already on flight following and I wanted to transition over LAX via the SFRA? Would I switch to the SFRA frequency (and squawk 1201) and back to the controller after?
patrickperalta

Postby Scott Medeiros » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:47 am

The controller will drop your flight following prior to entering the SFRA, and it's unlikely they'll coordinate flight following for you to receive on the other side. It would be an entirely different controller's sector, so plan on requesting FF once you exit the SFRA as you normally would.
Scott Medeiros

Return to General