Cat2 disaster

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
charnwooduk

Cat2 disaster

Post by charnwooduk »

My first attempt at CAT2 was a disaster. 10 miles out from San Luis I made the exact call listed in the notes, but obviously substituting my call sign (GRS74) and the correct ATIS (foxtrot)

The reply back questioned if I was giving my call sign or tail number.. I replied it was my call sign.
ATC responded to tell me I didn't understand them. Then carried on talking to all the other pilots.. I flew a few circles wondering what to do, and not wanting to look stupid as it was very busy, I just disconnected .

Where do I go from here? What did I do wrong?
Kevin_atc

Re: Cat2 disaster

Post by Kevin_atc »

What time did this happen? Try to find the audio recording. That’ll provide a lot more information.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Is GRS a code identified by the FAA? Maybe you’ll find your experience much more enjoyable by simply using a US registration or easier tail number. It would likely lead to a better experience for you and ATC.
kullery

Post by kullery »

As Marcus indicated, a more realistic tail number/call sign would be a good first step for you.

The “GRS” call sign was assigned to “Golden Rule Airlines” which ceased operations in 2011. They had a fleet of 3 Antonov bi-planes based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. To use that airline call sign while flying a C172 (assumed based on your prior use), in Southern California and expect that it would be recognized by ATC is a bit absurd.

Try this page which will assist you in creating a realistic aircraft registration number.

http://www.myflightroute.com/number.php
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

What happened is likely what would've happened if you attempted to do the same thing in real life. As others have suggested, make your life easier and use a standard US civil registration, just as you almost certainly would if you were actually flying there.

An defunct airline callsign for a Cessna 172 conducting a VFR flight into a small Class D airport in central California is not a realistic operation. Small wonder the controller confused.

Also, did you refer to yourself as "Golf Romeo Sierra Seven Four?" because if so, then as a controller, I'd start asking questions, too. Airlines have radio telephony callsigns, such as "united", "delta", "southwest", etc. They don't refer to themselves as "Uniform Alpha Lima."

GIve it another try with an N-number and watch the workshop on Communications: https://pilotedge.net/workshops for details on how to refer to your callsign over the radio.