Parking stand choice - how to do it?

PapaGarry

Parking stand choice - how to do it?

Post by PapaGarry »

Dear friends,

I'm just starting my PPL license education, so I do not know how it happens in real life flights, but in sim ATC I got lost with one question: how the final parking destination is being assigned?
For example I now preparing to CAT-2 rating and in the video assigned to the task I can see that after clearing runway pilot report "clear runway, ready for taxi to parking" and getting instruction "taxi via A". Ok, then he is taxiing to east hangar (on video) instead of transient paring which exists on the same airport scheme. And controller agree with this choice, saying "CAT-2 rating approved".
In my newbies understanding either GND should assign parking position or pilot should request it? Please help where to read about it or explain in simple words?

Thanks in advance
Igor
Kevin_atc

Re: Parking stand choice - how to do it?

Post by Kevin_atc »

There’s really no “right” or “wrong” when choosing a parking location in the sim. This is because there’s zero training value in it. If you were to fly into an airport in the real world, you would have a true plan (you’re heading to the restaurant for lunch, to the FBO for fuel, to a friend’s hangar, etc…). The only time ATC may question you is if you’re in a general aviation aircraft and request to park at the airline gates/terminal. But, even that isn’t really “wrong” and shouldn’t constitute a fail. Respectfully, it sounds like you’re putting too much thought into this small detail. Just have a desired parking location in mind before you depart and stick to it :)
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
PapaGarry

Post by PapaGarry »

Thanks! Does it mean that if I for example got instruction "taxi to parking via A" - I may choose any parking in that area?
As author mentioned in this video "if you will turn wrong place - it will be assumed as your mistake ant test will be not passed"

As in order to understand what parking MSFS expect me to arrive I'm turning on taxi ribbon :)

Thanks a lot
Igor
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Making a wrong turn would mean you entered a taxiway that you weren’t instructed to enter. Yes, if told to taxi to parking via A, you can turn off anywhere as you’re leaving the movement area. However, if told to taxi via Alpha and bravo to parking (just a random example), don’t turn off to parking from alpha as your instruction is to taxi on alpha, then taxi on bravo, then turn off to parking.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
PapaGarry

Post by PapaGarry »

Got it! Thanks a lot!

Blue Skies
Igor