New User - Question after first few flights

bk6662

New User - Question after first few flights

Post by bk6662 »

Hi!

I just registered and started using PE. Wish I had done this a long time ago (instead of trying to get VATSIM to work properly) - it's *so* much more realistic! My only criticism so far is hearing constant ATC chatter from distant airports. But I understand the model, and realize that's a small price to pay for what we get. (EDIT: Reading further into the forum I realize this is actually a feature that was introduced relatively recently. I'm sure it will just take time to get used to; now I think I understand the rationale behind the repeaters / combined freqs).

My question is regarding a recent (CAT2) rating attempt and subsequent failure. The flight and Class D clearance and approach went fine. But when I had the airfield in view I realized was way too high so I initiated a go-around. ATC was busy at another airport, so I didn't have an opportunity to notify the controller right away. But he shortly contacted me, stated that he noticed I wasn't in the intended location, and told me he wouldn't be able to pass me for the C2 attempt.

I don't mind this at all. I'm also training for Private Pilot, and using PE as a way to get better at communicating. But in this scenario - did I do anything wrong? Should I have stated my go-around intent even though the frequency was busy?

Thanks again PilotEdge for such an awesome product!
-bk
Kevin_atc

Re: New User - Question after first few flights

Post by Kevin_atc »

Hey BK, welcome to PE.

As you’ve figured out, yes- the repeaters are a feature that help increase the amount of radio chatter and avoid pilots stepping on each other. But it’s actually not as unrealistic as you think. Frequency coupling happens in the real world often, and nearly every single controller in the real world is working multiple frequencies at all times.

As for your CAT2 attempt, without hearing the frequency at that time, it’s hard for me to say if you took too long to report the go around. Additionally, I’m not sure where you ended up. You should have flown upwind and then began a standard traffic pattern. Where, exactly, were you when ATC said you weren’t in the right place?

FYI- there’s a forum thread specifically for the pilot training program and Discord is an even better place to get quick answers and have a discussion.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
bk6662

Re: New User - Question after first few flights

Post by bk6662 »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response, and the info you provided. Will make note of the forum dedicated to the pilot training program, and I've just signed up for Discord. Also regarding your question; I think I recall overshooting and continuing straight instead of joining the traffic pattern as I should have. The controller had me turn right instead of left, cleared me to land, so I ended up performing an opposite traffic pattern to return for landing. I believe you're right; if I had joined the proper pattern, he may have not been inclined to fail my attempt. Not being able to inform my go-around intention through me for a twist, but I can see where I dropped the ball.

Thanks again - I look forward to becoming more familiar with PE and continuing through the CAT ratings!

-bk