MSFS2020 COM1 COM2 keybind request

silberztein

MSFS2020 COM1 COM2 keybind request

Post by silberztein »

Hi,

I have just bought MSFS 2020 with the classic c172 with gns530.

I usually communicate with COM1 and listen to ATIS on COM2
I need to mute COM1 when listening to COM2 and then unmute COM1 and mute COM2
I always transmit on COM1, the rotary button at the top right of the audio panel is set to COM1.

=> The trick 123.45 on both radios works fine (I hear myself), even when LED COM1 is off at the top left of the audio panel (if the LED COM2 is lit) which is weird. Maybe these two LEDs at the top left of the audio panel do not mean on/off ?

=> I have been trying to set shortcuts on my CHFlight Sim Yoke to mute/unmute COM1 and COM2 but with no success.
I tried all combinations in MSFS > Controls Option > Radio > Comms

Keyboard shortcuts would be OK.

Does anyone know how to set mute/unmute COM1 and COM2 on the c172 classic with a shortcut ?
Last edited by silberztein on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Medeiros

Re: MSFS2020 COM1 COM2

Post by Scott Medeiros »

The Bendix/King KMA28 audio control panel in the C172 is functional for monitoring multiple radios, although it does not work exactly as the real unit.

The rotary microphone selector switch controls which radio will be used for transmitting, and audio from the selected transmitter will also be heard over the headset. This ensures the pilot will always hear the audio from the transceiver they are transmitting on.

The pushbutton selectors for Com1 and Com2 will control what audio you are receiving in your headset. This allows you to monitor more than 1 radio at a time. Where MSFS differs from the actual unit is that the LED lights do not illuminate to mirror the selected radio on the microphone selector switch, although the audio is receiving whichever radio is selected on the knob.

You'll need to rotate the knob to Com2 to avoid hearing Com1 as well, and ensure Com1 receive is set to off (LED out).
silberztein

Re: MSFS2020 COM1 COM2

Post by silberztein »

Scott, Thanks for your explanations.

The rotary selector to the right of the audio panel is always set to COM1, as I always transmit on COM1. I only use COM2 to listen to ATIS or Guard.

However, I have not been able to set buttons on my CH Flight Sim Yoke to mute/unmute COM1 nor COM2.
I have not been able to set keyboard shortcuts either.
In MSFS2020 > Controls Option > Radio Comms, the commands SELECT COM1 RECEIVE and SELECT COM2 RECEIVE do not seem to do anything, as the LEDs are not lit up.

By the way, the LEDs next to COM1 and COM2 do not seem to correspond to "listen". For example, if I set 123.45 to both COMs, I can hear myself even if the LED next to COM2 is off...