Sending ATC audio to the headset

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

Sending ATC audio to the headset

Post by Keith Smith »

As of Jun 17, 2014, the P3D/FSX/FS2004 client allows you to selected your audio output device from within the pilot client. Go to Start->Options-Voice, pick the desired device and click OK. The change takes place immediately.

EDIT: THE REMAINDER OF THIS POST IS OUT OF DATE, use the information above...

The PilotEdge FS2004/FSX client uses the default playback device at the moment, which is typically the speakers.

Here's how to get the audio to the headset for now:

1) Set the HEADSET to be the default playback device (and default
recording device)

2) Start PilotEdge (do NOT connect, since the sim isn't running yet)

3) Now set the SPEAKERS to be the default playback device again (this won't affect PilotEdge, it was already running and has already opened up the headset as its audio device).

4) Start FS2004/FSX, position the aircraft at the ramp

5) Connect PilotEdge to the network. You should now have ambient noises from the speakers and ATC audio in the headset.

Edit: ALTERNATIVELY, you can configure FSX to play its sound through the speakers, rather than using the 'default device'. If you do this, then you can skip step 3 each time.
Charan Kumar

Re: Sending ATC audio to the headset

Post by Charan Kumar »

I actually got this working the other day, but seeing as how the speakers started working, I immediately disconnected and restarted everything again after resetting the playback device...:lol:...thx for the tip, this certainly is a life-saver, I had to mute the engines to hear ATC and couldn't tell when the engines stopped working ... I would keep pressing Q a few times before looking out ....
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Is there a way to do this in x-plane?
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Yep! I have my engine sounds playing through external speakers and ATC in my headset. Basically, you do the same thing Keith describes. On a Mac, you go to System Preferences and select "Line Out" for your default audio output. Then, in the VSPro plugin, you select your headset as the default device. Pretty simple, really.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jeff, it's easier in X-Plane (it's a one-time setup). The plugin for X-Plane has the ability to specify the output device for the audio, that's the difference.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Hm, I must be missing something obvious as I haven't been able to get this to work.

I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro, with an audio-in jack and an audio-out jack. I've tried plugging my headset to the audio-in jack and the cable from my external speakers to the audio-out jack and vice versa. System prefs does not allow me to select "Line out", only "Headphones", and the VSPro plugin only gives me the option of "Built-in Output".

Do I need USB speakers to pull this off?
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Jeff, you may have burnt up your audio board. I mistakenly thought the two jacks on the MacBook Pro were input and output, however, there is only one output. The other jack is an optical audio output. If you plugged your headset into what you thought was the audio input jack, you may very well have fried the audio board. I know, because I did it. Your options now are to have your audio board replaced, which will run between $150 and $225, depending on the technician. Or you can buy a USB input/output here http://store.griffintechnology.com/imic and use it for your headset. Your technician can probably rig your sound to either come out of the internal speakers or the audio line out. I had my tech make my internal speakers functional and I used the USB iMic to run the headset. If you use the iMic, you can set your output in System Preferences. I had my sound board replaced recently, but now I fly on a Mac Mini and I have my powered speakers hooked up to the line out jack on the Mini and my head set is hooked up to the iMic. The key is to remember the sound preferences on your Mac and the input/output device preference in VSPro are separate settings. If you want to talk this through, I can PM you with my phone number.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Cool, thanks a lot Steven. I'll pick up an iMic and see if that does the trick.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Not sure if anyone else is having an issue, but when I try this in FS2004, my sim crashes within 10 minutes. However, when I start the PE connection client AFTER Flight Sim is already running, I am able to fly for hours without a problem. I've tested this 4-5 times so I'm 99% sure that starting the PE client prior to starting FS2004 is crashing my sim. Anyone else having this issue?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Kevin,
That very well could be the case. The instructions do not allow for starting the client first: http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-msfs
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net