Multiple computers?

dancemad

Multiple computers?

Post by dancemad »

Hey all,

Is there anyone who is experienced with networking multiple computers in X-Plane 9 for the purposes of additional monitors? I have been able to set up an instructor console and control the parameters of the pilots plane, however, I can't seem to get a simple 'extra visual' set up on a second monitor. IP's seem to be speaking to each other, nothing I do on the Pilots computer seems to effect the 'extra visual' monitor.

Thanks in advanced,
Michael O
Keith Smith

Re: Multiple computers?

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, I've done it a lot through my work with PFC. I know Adam has a multi-visual system, too.

The master needs to be configured to have the IP of the visual computer in the section that says, "IP address of extra visual, THIS is a the master computer...".

The slave should be configured to have the IP of the master computer in the section that says, "IP address of the master computer, THIS is the extra visual...".

Read the labels VERY closely and it should all come together.

Keith
dancemad

Post by dancemad »

Thanks Keith,

Actually it was the PowerPC that is not compatible with XP9 intel networking architecture. Put on the Intel Mac and it worked great.....

Cheers,
Michael O
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Good to hear it works for you now. I just added a new PC with a touchscreen to run an FMS or GPs unit, but the $@# thing seems to only work if that PC is the primary on the system. Sux. I am really hoping that XP10 will give you a few more options on this kind of thing.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

You can go that route or look at sim avio. It is supposed to be better graphics for less resource overhead. Gonna try it this year when i upgrade the sim to xp10. Too bad there is not an inexpensive version of he xplane cockpit add on.
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

This is honestly the only thing keeping me from switching to X-Plane even though I own 9. I just can't get over how it's not a simple process of making new views and dragging them to your additional monitors on the same computer like FSX. It seems like a $6000 investment just to get X-Plane running nicely on 3 monitors :(
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Colin,

I went through the exact same process to go back to FSX. I have now a Sim with six computers and it works great.

My X-Plane license is in the "archive" for now.

Alex
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Xplane is easy enough to get views set up. It is just designed so that the primary computer should run the panel if there are more than one PC. But because I run several other software pakages that also use the twin sets of controllers I have, I have to set it up with the panel as a secondary PC and the primary driving the hi-def video and PE chatter (and USB panels and UHID devices.) So everything works great except for a few things. But since I am not sure how well my panel PC will handle XP10, I think I will give Avio Sim a try when I upgrade this year for Christmas. I want something new for the panel. When you enlarge the stock instruments they are not very sharp. I could make new instruments but I'm already too busy to even fly the damned simulator regularly. Besides, Sim Avio will give me a few things like working GPS and moving map I can actually read.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

TexFly wrote:Colin,

I went through the exact same process to go back to FSX. I have now a Sim with six computers and it works great.

My X-Plane license is in the "archive" for now.

Alex
Alex, if you have 6 computers, then you could build a killer X-Plane setup. It's when you try to have one computer with lots of monitors that X-Plane doesn't do well. It wasn't designed for that case, but if you're using one computer per screen, it'll crush that.