Questions

JustinWheat

Questions

Post by JustinWheat »

I've recently viewed Robert M's x plane 10 videos on youtube. They are awesome. A few questions though. Is X Plane 10 better for triple screen external views with three pc's (one pc per monitor)? If so, is there any recommended pc settings for each pc. I was also looking into sim avionics across two touchscreen monitors. So looking for a couple suggestions regarding the multi pc environment for X Plane 10. Thanks, Justin
Keith Smith

Re: Questions

Post by Keith Smith »

3 are three choices:
1) 1 machine driving all 3 screens as a single virtual display.This generates some warping issues on the edges of the screen once you reach a certain wide field of view.
2) 1 machine driving all 3 screens using the MultiView plugin (this is what Jame Price does with his 737 sim).
3) 3 machines driving 3 screens (1 machine per screen). This will allow the highest frame rate per display, assuming you have a choice between 1 machine driving 3 screens, or 3 machines with equal configuration to the 1 machine setup.

The PE plugin will work in all of those cases (option 2 requires a new version of the PE plugin if you want to use the MultiView plugin, though, which I can provide on demand prior to the next release with the new CSL support).
JustinWheat

Post by JustinWheat »

Thanks for the reply Keith. Could you please expound upon the second option? This is with one high end pc right? How are the frame rates with the multiple views? If I'm understanding it right it is three different views on one pc, correct? Thanks for the help!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The 2nd option requires a pretty beefy PC, yes, as the view is being constructed multiple times. The frame rates are lower, obviously, but if you're starting with a high frame rate from the outset, you can have acceptable results.
JustinWheat

Post by JustinWheat »

Are we talking 30 FPS while on the ground with payware scenery? My idea of acceptable would be around 30 FPS because that is all the human eye can distinguish. Would be happy with 30 FPS across all 3 screen from one beefy PC.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Can't really give you a number...depends on the settings, the hardware, the airplane, the scenery and the views that you set up. Take your current single screen frame rate and divide it by the number of screens you want to have, that's a good start.