PE controller: good point about 7700 code

Ryan B

PE controller: good point about 7700 code

Post by Ryan B »

Last night I was flying and overheard an emergency into CRQ ... Only heard the controller side of course but he gave a nice explanation on why you DON'T squawk 7700 when you're radar IDed. It basically increases ATC workload over the already ongoing emergency. I'm not sure if the PE controllers have an audible alarm but in the real world (at least in a tower or Tracon where I work), there's a massively annoying alarm that sounds if a emergency beacon codes comes up. Seriously the entire tower staff hurries to identify it and turn it off ASAP. It's terribly distracting and often we cannot hear the pilots intentions over it. Stupid stupid stupidly annoying

The only good use for the alarm is if we're really busy and someone has no time to talk who is NOT radar IDed - we can see where they are (likely their last known target) and try to send help

I almost forgot - you'd obviously use the code if you can't transmit
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Mike133

Re: PE controller: good point about 7700 code

Post by Mike133 »

I was the pilot with the emergency. I lost the tail engine on my 727 due to what I believe was an improperly high throttle setting on climb-out. Even with 2/3 engines, the 727 came down like a rock and I slammed into terrain on short final. Surely, the full payload, fuel, and my jet-naive hamfists didn't help.

As to the ATC exchange, it was an unplanned emergency and obviously I did not coordinate with ATC beforehand so we could be on the same page. I was IFR so I was talking to departure at the time. I instinctively keyed 7700, because as an instrument rated Private Pilot, I was always taught to make 7700 a part of an emergency flow. I hope my beacon code wasn't overly annoying, because controllers, both in real-life and simulated, have a tough job and I don't want to make it more difficult by making alarm bells scream at them. So, I also appreciate the good controller's explanation as to why 7700 made his life harder rather than easier. The controller also made special mention of 7700 making my radar data block disappear, naturally not a helpful thing.

Ryan B I want to thank you for offering your tower/Tracon perspective. Your comments made me reach for the Aeronautical Information Manual. As I said above, I was always trained that 7700 was something you just always did when you had an emergency. However, this is not the case.

Excerpt from the AIM, "6-3-2. Obtaining Emergency Assistance":

2. If equipped with a radar beacon transponder (civil) or IFF/SIF (military):

(a) Continue squawking assigned Mode A/3 discrete code/VFR code and Mode C altitude encoding when in radio contact with an air traffic facility or other agency providing air traffic services, unless instructed to do otherwise.

(b) If unable to immediately establish communications with an air traffic facility/agency, squawk Mode A/3, Code 7700/Emergency and Mode C.

I don't know why I was always incorrectly taught to squawk 7700 regardless of radio contact. Perhaps it is an old "pilot trick" to wake up the controllers when things go south. Perhaps, we pilots, just get really "uncomfortable" when stuff breaks, and in those moments of heightened stress hormones, perhaps we think that the number 7 is indeed lucky, and that making that transponder sing 7700 will be the magic factor that gets our butts back to earth. Most likely, pilots just figure it "can't hurt", and therefore always key up 7700.

I don't know why I was taught that, but judging by your statements and experience in ATC Ryan, it sounds like it may be a common problem pilots have. I just wanted to shed light on this misconception, and let me thank Ryan, the unnamed PE controller, and PilotEdge for teaching me something I can take to the real-world. It is not be the first time my PC has made me a better pilot.

So, in conclusion, make yours and ATC's life easier when you have an emergency, if you are talking to someone just leave the transponder alone "unless instructed to do otherwise."
Last edited by Mike133 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I'm sure my CFI taught me the same. Gosh, until I got into air traffic I knew so little about flying from the pilot side of the radio. I never got my instrument rating (would like to some day!) and I'm guessing that would help because you fly in the NAS a lot more than when you're just VFR at a hick field like where I started hehe.

Thanks for the writeup.

There's a lot of weird things I come across being an ATCer, especially things that pilots have no idea about and life would be easier if they did. I'm positive the same things happen to pilots. If only controllers knew what goes on things would be better. Ironically, a lot of controllers dislike airplanes, flying, etc etc. I have no clue why as I love airplanes and enjoy meeting pilots when they stop into the FBO. I try to learn something new from the other side of the mic once in a while.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Ironically, a lot of controllers dislike airplanes, flying, etc etc.
So that's why flow control exists ;)
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Spending a few hours a year in FAA facilities is one of the best things I've been able to do to make my experience in the NAS a lot more productive. I'd even go so far as to say all CFI candidates should spend a minimum 1 hour in an up/down facility learning its ins and outs (and get a tower tour logbook endorsement from an authorized...ok, nevermind).

I require all of my students to go up to our local tower with me at least one time before they get their PPLs. (Unfortunately we don't have close access to a TRACON here.) Even if it's not a structured introductory program, there is an immense amount of information that can be absorbed through simple conversation with controllers.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

HRutila wrote:Spending a few hours a year in FAA facilities is one of the best things I've been able to do to make my experience in the NAS a lot more productive. I'd even go so far as to say all CFI candidates should spend a minimum 1 hour in an up/down facility learning its ins and outs (and get a tower tour logbook endorsement from an authorized...ok, nevermind).

I require all of my students to go up to our local tower with me at least one time before they get their PPLs. (Unfortunately we don't have close access to a TRACON here.) Even if it's not a structured introductory program, there is an immense amount of information that can be absorbed through simple conversation with controllers.
+1. Tower tours for students are a great way for them to understand what's happening on the other end of the radio. It's nice to be able to put a face with the voice.