traffic for ForeFlight

Keith Smith

Re: traffic for ForeFlight

Post by Keith Smith »

I used ForeFlight for several years without any GPS integration purely as a charting solution in the airplane. It was only recently that I got a Stratus 2 receiver so now I have GPS, a backup AHRS and ADS-B in.

If memory serves, you can use ForeFlight without any subscription (the app is free). It just won't download charts for OFFLINE use unless you have a subscription. If you don't intend to use it in an airplane, my guess is you can use it for free with your sim as long as you have a net connection so it can download the charts.
JustinWheat

Post by JustinWheat »

Keith can you elaborate any on the custom SimAvionics you were talking about? Will this be able to send the traffic through to SimA and show on the tcas screen? All of this of course through X Plane 10.

Justin
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Keith Smith wrote:I used ForeFlight for several years without any GPS integration purely as a charting solution in the airplane. It was only recently that I got a Stratus 2 receiver so now I have GPS, a backup AHRS and ADS-B in.

If memory serves, you can use ForeFlight without any subscription (the app is free). It just won't download charts for OFFLINE use unless you have a subscription. If you don't intend to use it in an airplane, my guess is you can use it for free with your sim as long as you have a net connection so it can download the charts.
I can confirm that a non-sub setup works great for Xplane...

Unfortunately taxi on map requires a sub and I have also not been able to see traffic after I have set it on so I assume it is also dependent on a sub

That being said there are many great features that are available which is amazing, thanks for the heads up...just assumed it was all payware.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

JustinWheat wrote:Keith can you elaborate any on the custom SimAvionics you were talking about? Will this be able to send the traffic through to SimA and show on the tcas screen? All of this of course through X Plane 10.

Justin
It should be possible for someone to write code to take our data and drive other custom avionics. Jim Price is working on it for SimAvionics now, I sent him the protocol spec (it would be the protocol that ForeFlight uses for its traffic).
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Unfortunately taxi on map requires a sub and I have also not been able to see traffic after I have set it on so I assume it is also dependent on a sub
Yes, geo-referenced plates aren't included in the entry level sub, so I'm not surprised that they're not included when there is no subscription present.

In terms of traffic, the plugin hasn't been released to the public yet, I still have to do the Mac build. When it is, there will be instructions on how to configure the plugin to send traffic to ForeFlight.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

stealthbob wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:I used ForeFlight for several years without any GPS integration purely as a charting solution in the airplane. It was only recently that I got a Stratus 2 receiver so now I have GPS, a backup AHRS and ADS-B in.

I can confirm that a non-sub setup works great for Xplane...

That being said there are many great features that are available which is amazing, thanks for the heads up...just assumed it was all payware.
I can't understand how this is possible. I have ForeFlight installed but the "30 day trial" is expired. When the app launches, the only thing you can do is subscribe or login to your account and *then* subscribe. You can't navigate to any other page or screen.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Ugggh...sounds like my joy of using Foreflight is on the clock then.

Damm
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

good to know, thanks Steve.

I think FF is great for the money. It gets better all the time, too.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

No denying the value and would gladly pay if I had more use for it other than Sim enhancement.

I have many things that I would like to allocate my fun $$$'s to, in the end I have to choose what I need to prioritize on...keeping PE active comes to mind. :D

...maybe one day when I get serious about going for my PPL, some things have to happen first before I even consider that as an option mind you.
N46PV

Post by N46PV »

Keith
Any chance you could get this working with wingxpro? I'd be glad to help beta test if needed

Georgianate