Freq change on own leaving B or C airspace

geoffist

Freq change on own leaving B or C airspace

Post by geoffist »

It is my understanding that leaving a D airspace VFR, you are able to switch frequencies on your own, as there is no longer a requirement to be on the tower frequency once past the airspace they control (the D airspace).

Does it stand to reason that, if I depart a Class C (or even B for that matter) and opt for "negative radar services", I can do the same once leaving the airspace inner surface area? If you haven't received a squawk code, not under radar contact and you leave the inner surface area while staying below the outer shelves, it seems to me that you wouldn't have to wait for tower to tell you "frequency change approved".
chevyrules

Re: Freq change on own leaving B or C airspace

Post by chevyrules »

If departing a C or B airport, you will get a transponder code( as a transponder with Mode C is a requirement to fly within those airspaces) even if you don't request flight following beyond the C or B. When departing a C or B, I have had two experiences in real life. Sometimes the controller will terminate your services on their own or upon leaving the B or C, you request termination on your own and at which point as long as you truly are out of their airspace, they will terminate you.

Either way, you need to be told, " Radar Services terminated, Squawk VFR/1200, freq change approved".
geoffist

Post by geoffist »

Thanks so much for your reply.

Does that Squawk code you mention include 1200? When you said "you will get a transponder code," is that including 1200? To clarify, when leaving C or B, I WILL get a transponder code?
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

geoffist wrote:Thanks so much for your reply.

Does that Squawk code you mention include 1200? When you said "you will get a transponder code," is that including 1200? To clarify, when leaving C or B, I WILL get a transponder code?
You WILL get a discrete transponder code when departing a CLASS C or B.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
jx_

Post by jx_ »

The issue isn't leaving the airspace. It is that you are radar contact. While receiving radar services you have to remain on the assigned frequency until hearing "frequency change approved" or "contact tower".

So even in Class E airspace, you need to remain on the frequency from the time you hear "radar contact" until you hear "frequency change approved" or "contact tower".
signmanbob

Post by signmanbob »

geoffist wrote:Thanks so much for your reply.

Your squawk code within C or B class will not be 1200, since that is the standard VFR squawk. It will be something like 4065, for instance, and whenever they give you a squawk code like that, you have to wait for them to release you before changing the frequency or changing the squawk code.

Bob
V-3 * CAT-11 * i-11 Ratings 8-)....Yeah!!
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

The squawk code doesn't matter as much as the "radar contact" you hear...
ATC doesn't REQUIRE a unique code in order to radar ID (radar contact) you, it is just common and a bit easier to have a unique code. Therefore- technically speaking, you could still be squawking 1200 and still be radar ID'd.
While under radar services (radar contact), you should not change freq on your own.
Kyle Sanders