NEMA GPS device for IPAD

jcar

NEMA GPS device for IPAD

Post by jcar »

Working on a new product that I will have available in about 60 days that will enable us poor virtual pilots to connect our NEMA GPS data to IPHONE orIPAD from X-Plane or FSX as a GPS device so that it will be able to drive Foreflight or Garmin Pilot as if we were in our real airplanes. Just taking a little survey of the users on Pilotedge that would be interested in such a product.

Best regards
John Car
HyperVision System's
Tim Krajcar

Re: NEMA GPS device for IPAD

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Yes, very interested, depending on the price. Share more info when you have it, for sure!
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Very interested. I have been waiting for someone to do this so ForeFlight and the other iPad flight programs can be utilized with FSX and xPlane. I know Heikki of SkyCharts and his program so far is one of the few aviation apps that will interface out of the box with a flight sim... xPlane in this case. We use that functionality when demonstrating the PFC simulator at our pilots club. Any of the attending pilots can bring up SkyCharts on their iPhone or iPad and follow along.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

Yes!!! I fly real-world with ForeFlight, and miss it with FSX. I will be one of the first in line to purchase!
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I think you are going to find lots of people are interested in this. Good luck! Keep us in the loop!
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

android here, use AviationMaps. Interesting idea.

FSUIPC does let you output NEMA strings from FSX/FS9 (from X-plane too?). Connecting the tablet by USB to your FS computer (or even snazzier by bluetooth), and setting it to accept a mock GPS location might be most of what is needed. A slim app could tie the two together neatly.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

This is from a post in the Naviator forums, looks pretty straightforward for android, don't know if this approach is possible for iThingies ...

* Orest
It works like a charm. I picked up a bluetooth dongle at Frys for $8 and plugged it into my desktop. I decided to buy XPlane since the MS Flight Simuulator X required an add on for $15 to get the NMEA data stream (the free versions don't work on Windows 7) and Xplane was $29 so I figured why not get a new sim out of the deal. I downloaded "Bluetooth GPS" from the app store (free) and loaded it on the my tablet. I then enabled mock gps provider in the app as well as in the settings (Applications, Development, Allow Mock Locations). I paired the desktop GPS to the tablet and then set the com port in XPlane to what was specified when the pairing took place, which in my case was com port 3. When you start Xplane you have to go into Settings, Joy Stick and Equipment, Equipment Tab, and go to the "real avionics" section and check the "moving map or other NEMA GPS driven device" box. I set the airport in Xplane to my local stomping ground, turned off my internal GPS, started the bluetooth, selected my PC, started Naviator and off it went.
jcar

Post by jcar »

Sorry this will not work on the IPAD. I wish it would.

JC

Orest Skrypuch wrote:This is from a post in the Naviator forums, looks pretty straightforward for android, don't know if this approach is possible for iThingies ...

* Orest
It works like a charm. I picked up a bluetooth dongle at Frys for $8 and plugged it into my desktop. I decided to buy XPlane since the MS Flight Simuulator X required an add on for $15 to get the NMEA data stream (the free versions don't work on Windows 7) and Xplane was $29 so I figured why not get a new sim out of the deal. I downloaded "Bluetooth GPS" from the app store (free) and loaded it on the my tablet. I then enabled mock gps provider in the app as well as in the settings (Applications, Development, Allow Mock Locations). I paired the desktop GPS to the tablet and then set the com port in XPlane to what was specified when the pairing took place, which in my case was com port 3. When you start Xplane you have to go into Settings, Joy Stick and Equipment, Equipment Tab, and go to the "real avionics" section and check the "moving map or other NEMA GPS driven device" box. I set the airport in Xplane to my local stomping ground, turned off my internal GPS, started the bluetooth, selected my PC, started Naviator and off it went.
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

jcar wrote:Sorry this will not work on the IPAD. I wish it would.

JC
Well, there is a solution to that. ;)

* Orest
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Any updates on this? Count me in for product release and beta testing if necessary! (I have an apple dev account if that helps for debugging...ie: my iPad can be put into debug mode for certain things)