Aircraft Type When Calling for Landing Clearance

Mark Hargrove

Aircraft Type When Calling for Landing Clearance

Post by Mark Hargrove »

There is a discrepancy between the guidelines Anthony gave pilots for the initial call-up to tower (for VFR flights) in a posting here a week or so ago, and what I experienced in actual practice yesterday.

Anthony (in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3014#p19477) indicated the initial call up should provide "who, where, what" -- your aircraft ID, your location, and your request. I did this on two separate flights when calling Torrance tower inbound yesterday -- "Cessna 757SM, Hawthorne & 405 Freeway, inbound for landing with the weather". In both instances I was asked for my aircraft type.

Soooo, which is it? Should we automatically supply the aircraft type on initial call-up, or was the controller-who's-name-shall-not-be-mentioned-but-who's-initials-are-Keith-Smith asking for more information than he needed? He also asked for my social security number and a major credit card, which is when I got suspicious.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Anthony Santanastaso

Re: Aircraft Type When Calling for Landing Clearance

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

In my experience, when flying inbound to an airport type or model is all that's required (e.g, Cessna, Skyhawk, Archer, Seminile, Arrow, etc.). Outbound the controller may ask for more info if they want to know for performance reasons and to better detail the strip they create for you.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Imagine you're approaching a non-radar field and you call in with "Boonville Tower, Cessna 123AB, 8 northwest, landing with Sierra."

Imagine there someone else on a 6 mile straight in shooting an approach. It's helpful to know if 123AB is a Citation X, or a Skycatcher. There may be times when ATC doesn't know or care, sure, but I would furnish the controller with the model instead of manufacturer on the initial call. I think Anthony's examples were fine at a high level, "who, where, what" is bang on. We're just debating the specifics of the 'who'.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

OK, makes sense.

But I'm always afraid I'm going to make the call "Skymaster 757SM..." and there's going to be radio silence for a moment, then somebody will say "SkyMASTER? Based on his radio technique I'd say more like SkyAPPRENTICE" and everybody on frequency will laugh and I'll be too humiliated to fly again.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Mark Hargrove wrote:OK, makes sense.

But I'm always afraid I'm going to make the call "Skymaster 757SM..." and there's going to be radio silence for a moment, then somebody will say "SkyMASTER? Based on his radio technique I'd say more like SkyAPPRENTICE" and everybody on frequency will laugh and I'll be too humiliated to fly again.

-M.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Mark.