A few basic questions for a pilot edge newbie

pkofman

A few basic questions for a pilot edge newbie

Post by pkofman »

A couple of simple questions from a new Pilotedge pilot

1 What is the appropriate setting for FSX traffic when flying on Pilot edge
Should I turn it up or off?

2 Is it possible to assign a sound to the PTT so that I can hear when I make a call to ATC.. It seems standard on the SB original client but does not work on the PE client on my computer

3 Are there any limitation to the aircraft I can fly online at PE.
When I would fly on Vatsim i pretty much flew whatever I wanted and in particular I would like to fly aircraft with an FMS. programmable Nav device so that I could get procedures.( sids stars routing programmed into the device)

4 What is the best wx client for Pilot edge and does it coordinate with ATC wx ( or is this even unnecessary on the PE system )

5 Does the PE / SB client have realistic distortion enabled?

Thank you in advance

peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
zengei

Re: A few basic questions for a pilot edge newbie

Post by zengei »

pkofman wrote:A couple of simple questions from a new Pilotedge pilot
Welcome.

Not being an FSX user, I'll answer your other questions.
pkofman wrote:3 Are there any limitation to the aircraft I can fly online at PE.
When I would fly on Vatsim i pretty much flew whatever I wanted and in particular I would like to fly aircraft with an FMS. programmable Nav device so that I could get procedures.( sids stars routing programmed into the device)
No limitation, if you can fly it in the real world, you can fly it in PE. Just make sure you can stay "ahead" of your aircraft, and can carry out any instructions ATC may give you in the aircraft. For example, if ATC clears you direct to a waypoint, make sure you know how to program your FMS to do that.
pkofman wrote:4 What is the best wx client for Pilot edge and does it coordinate with ATC wx ( or is this even unnecessary on the PE system )
You can use whatever weather you want, but ATC will assume real world weather, and runway configurations are based on real world weather. For that reason, if you're using anything other than real world weather that may affect how ATC would handle you, e.g. you've set low IMC or have winds howling out from the west, it's a courtesy to inform them on initial call up.
pkofman wrote:5 Does the PE / SB client have realistic distortion enabled?
No, there are topics which cover this though.
kullery

Post by kullery »

zengei wrote:
pkofman wrote:3 Are there any limitation to the aircraft I can fly online at PE.
No limitation, if you can fly it in the real world, you can fly it in PE. Just make sure you can stay "ahead" of your aircraft, and can carry out any instructions ATC may give you in the aircraft. For example, if ATC clears you direct to a waypoint, make sure you know how to program your FMS to do that.
I believe I heard Peter mention that the Space Shuttle has been denied service on PilotEdge. I don't have FSX so not sure if that is even a consideration with FSX.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

On the topic of weather, there are plenty of threads on the forum, so I would recommend a quick search in the top right. Any reasonable aircraft is ok (excluding space shuttles and rockets :D ) - if the plane isn't technically FAA approved or is a fictitious rendering, just use "Experimental" in front of your callsign. Not sure if FSX simulates wake turbulence or not, but I would personally recommend turning AI traffic off, seeing as there are already drones on PE and having your own AI traffic might get in the way (i.e. 747 on 20L at SNA). For question #2, I'm pretty sure there's a way to split the audio signal so that you can hear yourself, but that would probably require a bit of work. An easy alternative would be to have the PE receiver up and running next to the sim so that you can hear yourself (and everyone else off-frequency). Also, you could go to the audio archives and listen to yourself there after the flight. Not sure why you would want to do that though, seeing as I cringe when I hear my voice on the radio :shock:

Edit - A recent thread on weather: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5155&p=33520&hilit=weather#p33520
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

Thanks for the answers

A few clarifications

1 No space shuttles in my hanger so I'm going to be ok!

2 On the PTT, my questions was simply trying to figure out a way to get a "sound " so that you know when you have pushed the PTT. This is the functionality in FSINN or sb4
You hit the PTT button . and a sound plays to identify that it has been engaged. No big deal . I will try to figure something out

Lastly if I use Navigraph to update FMS data in the sim( fsx or p3d v2.5) then will the scenery be aligned with what the controllers see in Pilotedge

Thank you

peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Don't know about the sound, but the PE client currently doesn't have that capability. You would have to find an external sound program to allow that (although usually the feeling of your finger pressing a button is enough of a signal that you're transmitting for sim-purposes). For the Navigraph thing, I purchased a one-time navdata pack last month to update the BOACH and RIIVR waypoints for the I9 - that correctly aligned all waypoints that are covered by Navigraph. However, Navigraph doesn't affect scenery at all. If what you meant was "are the new fixes accurate with the controller's depictions", then yes, they are. Also, Navigraph fixes a few VOR freqs as well, such as the VCV VOR (which came in "handy" for the I11). Pretty sure Navigraph also fixed the VCV ATIS frequency, but I'll have to double check.

PS - The freqs were for XP, I don't know if those problems exist in stock-FSX/P3D. Regardless, the waypoints will be correctly updated completely independent on what sim you're using.
X-Plane 10.45
zengei

Post by zengei »

At least for XP, ATIS frequencies are controlled by the airport scenery, not the navdata.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Hmm, that's interesting, I haven't changed my VCV scenery. Could be placebo effect.

Edit - Never mind, it was VNY, which I had changed my scenery for. Whoops....
X-Plane 10.45
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Once you have verified that your PTT works, there is no need for an audible or visual prompt every time you use it. Try it out and if it works, then you simply push and speak. You don't need verification of every transmission.
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

thanks for all the reply.
The sound request was just because i have become accustomed to that feature with sb and fsinn
I like hearing a tone when i hit the transmit button , I suppose i could could simply verify tx with the client light
I don't even know why I like this sound feature because I'm a real pilot and i don't get that in the real plane

Thanks all
Enjoy your flights
peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M